Monday, August 4, 2014

Poetic Justice the first warning shot

 

Visions appeared in a heat wave when I walked miles to prevent my disabled mother from becoming homeless. The South Bronx became mysteriously beautiful like mirages in deserts or televisions.  The houses and buildings took me to other timelines in the history of The City That Never Sleeps where the boy was I dreamt wide-awake.

 

I was on a mission of mercy get the new landlords to renew the lease that was one document required to upgrade healthcare. “Leave your furniture behind. I’m giving you free bunk beds,” barked one employee of Paradise Management. It’s not The Holocaust but I’m got flashbacks of carrying Anne Frank in my arms when our town looked like parts of Europe after the Nazis Invasions in World War Two and now The WTC.

 

Burnside Avenue was one place they tried to get us out to.  Every bang on our door scares my mom.  Now he wants us to move like ping-pong balls to the other side of the building where he and others had succeeded at concentrating old time tenants. 

 

They wanted us to sign papers to give up our home but no lease for a smaller apartment. But I got my hands on one and took it to Housing Court on The Grand Concourse.

 

 “Sweetheart, don’t let your mother sign this,” a woman said, shaking her head.

 

 The lease does away with rent control in the homeless shelter called The South Bronx.

 

I stopped in front of the world-renowned Bronx Zoo of animals caged up but humanely treated. I remember tigers and lions and bears oh my. This isn’t Kansas, Toto. It’s making money from poorly designed program warehousing homeless families (some that yell with drug problems and domestic disputes stressing other tenants with problems).

 

Who is paying the rent of $2,800 for them?

 

My mother pays $499. It’s no wonder the landlords have resorted to tactics to get rid of elderly women who has been living there since the last days of Watergate. I’m not a politician or a terrorist but I feel surrounded by enemies that don’t care I’m losing my mother everyday to the funeral home across her bedroom window.

 

She used to work for a pen and pencil factory. She drew me my first smile. She taught me how to read and write before sending me off to first grade where I helped classmates to read.  I saw how words could be rearranged to spell sword. I’m Jedi Journalist.

 

I execute liars with truth, justice and the comic books. See landlords run.

 

Run, landlords, run.

 



 

Ain’t Got A Home sung by Clarence ‘Frogman’ Henry



No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Fears In 2020