Saturday, August 9, 2014

Art of Love




Breast Cancer test results for my disabled mother was yesterday, August 7, the birthday of her late husband. It took time to do paperwork and secure documents from one office to another to get my mother to breast surgery on the 9th floor of Lincoln Hospital.

 

An African-American doctor with two young medical assistants, one white and the other Asian, had me translate instructions to my mother. The door closed as she undressed.

 

In the empty waiting room, I stared out into space.

 

Then I realized the hospital personnel I met with were all females. “Beautiful intelligent women make me feel like I’m on Amazon Island,” I said, amazed. They were delighted with the compliment, as I was relieved that my mother was okay.

 

Like a child, my mom hugged the African-American doctor who hugged her back.

 

One of the doctors sighed when I said,” She came to this country with her older sister and worked in a pen and pencil factory. She drew my first smile.”

 

It’s the end and the beginning of a true life Great American Novel.

 

It was a beautiful day in The South Bronx.

 

Perfect skies.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Fears In 2020