Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Stan Lee Was The Bruce Lee Of Comic Book Evolution

Image may contain: outdoor and text


No automatic alt text available.



I painted Marvel superheroes on a wall opposite our art room alongside classmates and our French/Irish All American teacher. My favorite superhero, among so many, was Namor, Prince Of Atlantis also known as The Submariner.

At the pool, I spent time underwater.

I was able to hold my breath longer than normal people and that amazed my classmates.

My childhood memories are fond ones of The Saint Mary’s Park Recreational Center in The South Bronx. All that was needed to make a great story was for Stan Lee to make a cameo appearance. 

Thanos took him.

If life is like a movie, humans should get a sequel.

I walked on water to find Fabled Atlantis.

I pulled down my diver’s mask and went into a galaxy of alien life forms. I flew like an angel free from the abuse of a crime-ridden city. As oceans became second skin on my body, it felt like I was dreaming deep into my subconscious mind upon breaking the surface for air and seeing the faraway shores of The French Riviera of The Bronx called Orchard Beach. The people were bright spots of color on golden sands. I went back into waters relaxing as the first time I heard The Blue Danube in a film mediation on the end result of human evolution. While weightless, a thought entered my mind.

Who’s going to take care of my disabled mother if I leave for the future?

Add my tears to the Seven Seas.

I’ll find Atlantis one day. 

I related to Namor because he was a hybrid American. Both our fathers were white. His mother was a blue skin princess and my mother was brown skinned. His underwater kingdom was polluted by radioactive waste dumped by an American corporation while The South Bronx looked like terrorists dropped an atomic bomb.

Namor lost his memories and became homeless.

I too lost memories from a cowardly attack by a Neo Nazi at school.

Homelessness Made Easy For Dummies by Danny Aponte, sixth grader at P.S 161

All Human And Mutant Rights Reserved 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Fears In 2020