Friday, November 15, 2013

New News

 

When I was a little boy, I time traveled by peeling back layers of old carpets to an era where people used newspapers to line wooden floors in The South Bronx. As if handling butterfly wings, I picked up journals yellowed by decades and marveled at the stories.

 

I saw a reporter who used my name as his first name and last. He wrote about Joe Di Maggio holding out for more money from the New York Yankees and how he wished Jolting Joe would shout for his net worth as one of the greatest ballplayers in history.

 

Reading ancient articles made them news again and made me feel like I had slipped from the floor to the skies of the 1930s. I was so there walking among the roaring crowd.

 

Strange that I practically live in the shadow of Yankee Stadium and could hear the cheers but never once taken to a ballgame. My mother’s husband was more interested in drinking with his friends and better with their children than he was with me.

 

Childhood melancholy gives way to hitting my first homer to the cheers of teammates in our backyard of scattered grass and cracked concrete and that battered ball flying over the fence was as close as I would ever get to The House Babe Ruth Built.

 

I call this chapter Bronx, Baseball and Beyond. I’m writing this in an attempt to recover memories lost to head injuries. I aim to touch all bases before sliding into home.

 

So far so good…

 


 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Fears In 2020